[postgis-users] PostGIS Usage Survey

Düster Horst Horst.Duester at bd.so.ch
Tue Feb 4 00:08:33 PST 2003

Hi all

- Name of the organization

SO!GIS Koordination of Kanton Solothurn in Switzerland

- Data being managed in the database

Since nearly two years MapServer is our main product to deliver geographical
information to the whole government. More than 250'000 maps were produced
sinice this time. It's our  aim to offer public geographical information. As
the result autumn 2002 we changed from ESRI Shapefile ton manage more than
300 geographical themes with postgis.

- How the data is being accessed / manipulated

The data access was made by ArcView (avpgcon), MapServer and other non gis
web applications. Direct data access was made by GDAL/OGR. The data
manipulation is done with the classical systems like ArcGIS or ArcView or
via import from foreign formats like INTERLIS.

- Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

After al lots of tests we decided to use PostGIS. Three systems were
available: ArcSDE, Oracle Spatial and PostGIS. ArcSDE dropped out of lacking
OGC simple features for SQL and the absence of Linux support at the time of
testing. So we tested Oracle Spatial and PostGIS. We came to the decision of
PostGIS due to the availability of GDAL/OGR connections, the very very fast
performance in contrast to Oracle Spatial and the mass of support via
Internet. As the strategic RDBMS of our government is ORACLE we were looking
out to find a direct connection from PostgreSQL to ORACLE like the ORACLE
DBLINK.

Out strategic aim is to resolve all redundances in our GIS data and
applications. This aim can only be obtained with central data coordination
and management and pure SQL. Take a look at the two attached examples.

With best regards

Dr. Horst Düster
Leiter
Abteilung SO!GIS Koordination