[postgis-users] PostGIS Usage Survey

Vinko Vrsalovic vinko at cprsig.cl
Wed Feb 5 13:05:21 PST 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 03:42:36PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> - Name of the organization

CPR&SIG Ltd. A GIS and Remote Sensing consultancy firm.

> - Data being managed in the database

We mainly develop web based (Mapserver, PHP/Python, Postgis) GIS applications
for several clients, typically the geographic data stored is Chile
(roads, lakes, geopolitic divisions, cities, etc.) or subsets of it.
The whole country and its layers is about 500MB in size.

> - How the data is being accessed / manipulated

Depends on the application, in one app, we generate geographics views on
the fly based on the data stored in another app and database, in another,
we capture different projects information, based on its location, and
use PostGIS to store, modify, generate statistics (like how much does
the project cost in a certain area; with heavy use of distance,
intersection and other PostGIS functions) and display the info, etc.

> - Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

Flexibility, need for interaction with existing systems, a lot of which
are Oracle or M$-SQL based, and it's Open Source! :-)

> Thanks so much!

You're welcome!

--
Vinko Vrsalovic <el[|- at -|]vinko.cl>