[postgis-users] Help updating SRID values...

Bill Wheaton gisgeek at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 21 18:32:20 PST 2003

PostGISers:

I have to change (update) the SRID in a geometry column.  I've searched
for methods of doing this and came across some posts from about a year
ago...The procedure suggested by John Reid and Dave Blasby below seems
to work EXCEPT for the last step...SELECT INTO only seems to allow you
to create a NEW table not move records from one table to another.  This
is probably a simple postgreSQL question, but I'm a stumped newbie. The
procedure I'm trying to follow is below.  Again, I'm just trying to
update the SRID for a geometry column (had a dumb typo when loading the
data).  If there is an easier way, I'd love to hear about it.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Bill
----

Alternatively, here's another method that should work for you:

1. Make a copy of your table (this will have no contraints on it):
         create table tmp_table as select * from <table>;
2. DropGeometryColumn() on your old table to de-register the geometry in
the geometry_columns table
3. drop the old table
4. create the table again
5. AddGeometryColumn() to create & register the geometry column.  Make
sure you set the parameters correctly.
6. If you're changing SRIDs you'll have to:
         update table tmp_table set <geometry column> = setSRID(<geometry
column>,<srid>)
7. use "select into..." to put the rows in tmp_table into the new table