[postgis-users] Problems with PostGIS Installation

christian.schuster at rsag.ch christian.schuster at rsag.ch
Thu Feb 27 02:13:30 PST 2003

Did you install and start cigipc daemon?

Christian Schuster

Rudolf Schuster AG
Postfach 277
CH - 3000 Bern 11

http://www.rsag.ch
++41 31 348 05 30

             Bernhard Moser
             <tartania at yahoo.c
             Sent by:                  postgis-users at postgis.refractions.n
             postgis-users-bou         et
             nces at postgis.refr                                          cc
             actions.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       [postgis-users] Problems with
             27.02.2003 10:52          PostGIS Installation

             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

Hi,

First I have to say that I have got no experience regarding Unix or
Postgresql.

I tried to install PostGIS on Windows XP following the guide on
http://www.gasai.com/gisapps/WindowsHowTo.html.

Everything works fine until I try to initialize postgresql under my
'postgres' profile with:

$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

I always got the reply:

The program 'postgres' is needed by initdb but was not found in the
directory '/usr/bin'. Check your installation.

I downloaded postgresql together with cygwin but the installation, does NOT
create a /usr/bin directory. (initdb and postgres.exe are in /bin).

But initdb works without problems if I try it as administrator.

It would be great if anyone could help me with this.

Thanks a lot,

Bernhard Moser

Do you Yahoo!?