[postgis-users] Using LAT LONG coords with postgis

Craig Miller craig at millerfam.net
Wed Jan 1 19:05:52 PST 2003

Most of what you say is the common modern day understanding of the different
terms, however that understanding is heavily influenced by modern day
applications. In fact, there are numerous serious errors in your summary.  I
don't want to critique your efforts here, but if you are considering the
addition to an FAQ it is probably important that it is summarized correctly.
Perhaps a geodesist could provide a summary.

I am not an geodesist, but I  believe the following statements are true:

1.  Geographic coordinates are coordinates given relative to a
datum/spheroid (E.g. NAD27, NAD83, WGS84, GPRS80).
2.  One application of projected coordinates are used to model a sub section
of the earth, however the term and the original application of projected
coordinates was to represent spherical (geographical) coordinates on a flat
surface.  Mercator, Robinson, and hundreds of other projections are also
used to represent the entire spherical earth on a flat sheet of paper.
3.  Projected coordinates are not always cartesian.  E.g. polar projections
do not use cartesian coordinates.
4.  It is probably important to note that all projections distort the real
data.  A projection is selected based on its properties and how those
properties interact with the intended application of the map.  For example,
the Mercator projection was popularized because it does not distort bearings
and is therefore useful when travelling the oceans.  It distorts area
heavily (I guarantee you that Antarctica is not that big! :-))

--Craig