[postgis-users] help with Microstation DGN data to PostGIS

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Wed Jul 9 08:36:23 PDT 2003

Eric, in the meantime you might want to ask your question on the list the
deals more directly with ogr:
Frank should be able to help you there.

Tyler

|---------+--------------------------------------------->
|         |           ejansson at COLLEGES.ORG             |
|         |           Sent by:                          |
|         |           postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refr|
|         |           actions.net                       |
|         |                                             |
|         |                                             |
|         |           07/09/2003 08:02 AM               |
|         |           Please respond to PostGIS Users   |
|         |           Discussion                        |
|---------+--------------------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                   |
  |       To:       postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net                                             |
  |       cc:                                                                                         |
  |       Fax to:                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  [postgis-users] help with Microstation DGN data to PostGIS                        |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I've been been trying to load a number of files in Microstation DGN format
into
PostGIS, and was hoping someone here had some experience doing this.  I've
been
using the ogr2ogr utility to do this:

    ogr2ogr -lco LAUNDER=YES -f "PostgreSQL" PG:dbname=testdb
D4d10.97.1.dgn

..but have found that the attribute data attached to my shapes is not being
loaded into the database.  I have also tried using the ogr2ogr utility to
create
shapefiles, and then use shp2pgsql to get that data into PostGIS:

    ogr2ogr -skipfailures -nln D4d10.97.1_polygon -skipfailures -lco
SHPT=POLYGON -f "ESRI Shapefile" D4d10.97.1/ D4d10.97.1.dgn

..which works, excepth that, again, the attribute data does not appear: the
SHP
file has all the geometry data, but the DBF file is empty.  When I use
ArcView
and do a manual "Convert to Shapefile..." all the attribute data converts
fine.
 The problem is, I have several hundred of these files to convert.

Sorry if this is a peripheral topic to this list--I realize most users are
probably most concerned with shapefiles and not DGNs.  Thanks in advance
for any
help.

Eric Jansson