[postgis-users] Java Test Fails

Darren Houston darren.houston at edu.sait.ab.ca
Mon Jul 14 10:11:27 PDT 2003

Hello all.

I am having difficulties trying to compile and run the jtest included with
PostGIS 0.7.5. When I execute "make jtest" I get the following errors;

[root at gis3 jdbc]# make jtest
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_03/bin/javac -classpath
/usr/share/pgsql/java/pg73b1jdbc2.jar:/usr/share/pgsql/java/postgis.jar:.
examples/TestServer.java
examples/TestServer.java:35: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class Connection
location: package postgresql

((org.postgresql.Connection)conn).addDataType("geometry","org.postgis.PGgeom
etry");
                                        ^
examples/TestServer.java:36: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class Connection
location: package postgresql

((org.postgresql.Connection)conn).addDataType("box3d","org.postgis.PGbox3d")
;
                                        ^
2 errors
make: *** [jtest] Error 1
[root at gis3 jdbc]#

I have setup the database connection properties within TestServer.java and
the paths within Makefile. I also have connected to the database with a jdbc
client GUI and issued all the commands successfully that the TestServer.java
tries to do. I have also tried to use all 4 available PostgreSQL java
drivers for the connection.

My database is PostgreSQL 7.3.3 running on RedHat 9. I am new to PostGIS and
Java, so please excuse me if the answer is something simple.

Thank you for any help,

Darren H.