[postgis-users] translation of nad83 state plane meters to de cimal long / lat

Obe, Regina DND\MIS robe.dnd at ci.boston.ma.us
Wed Jun 11 06:09:29 PDT 2003

It's been a while since I've done this, so I appologize for the sketchiness
of this.

1) You have to have your postgis compiled to use PROJ library

2) You have to have your spatial_ref_sys table loaded (the data is provided
with the postgis  source) the trick is to locate the SRIDs in the
spatial_ref_sys table that correspond to the spatial references you are
trying to translate back and forth to

3) Your input spatial field has to be created with a particular SRID -
something like
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('mydb', 'mytable', 'my_input_geom', '102686',
'MULTIPOLYGON', 2);

(102686 - is the SRID for NAD83 Massachusetts feet - but you can replace
that with your SRID)

For speed purposes, you may want to store your output geometry in another
spatial field
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('mydb', 'mytable', 'my_output_geom', '26986',
'MULTIPOLYGON', 2);

26986 - is SRID for Massachusetts NAD83 longitude latitude (LCC) asI recall

3) Then you use the transform function --  something like
UPDATE mytable SET my_output_geom = transform(my_input_geom, 26986)