[postgis-users] PostgreSQL geographical datatypes and PostGIS

Hubert Fröhlich hubert.froehlich at bvv.bayern.de
Wed Jun 25 23:41:29 PDT 2003

Hi list,

I have been using PostgreSQL geographical datatypes (POINT, POLYGON,
PATH etc. ) for GIS web applications, mainly accessed by self-developed
CGI scripts.

Now, with UMN MapServer upcoming and OGC Simple Features,, SHAPE export
etc., I'd like to use PostGIS geographical datatypes and operations for
my existing PostgreSQL data.

Now my question. Is there a way to integrate old PostgreSQL datatypes
into the PostGIS concept WITHOUT redesigning the database and tinkering
around a lot with cast operations? How can I use PostgreSQL datatypes
for PostGIS (and MapServer) in an un-sophisticated way?

Regards,

Hubert
Dr.-Ing. Hubert Fröhlich
Bezirksfinanzdirektion München
Alexandrastr. 3, D-80538 München, GERMANY
Tel. :+49 (0)89 / 2190 - 2980
Fax  :+49 (0)89 / 2190 - 2459
hubert.froehlich at bvv.bayern.de