[postgis-users] PointM, PolyLineM, PolygonM

strk strk at freek.keybit.net
Tue Mar 4 09:36:05 PST 2003

pramsey wrote:
> Is is possible to have measure *and* elevation in a shapefile? XYZM? Or
> is it only XYZ and XYM?
> Paul

I think it is *NOT* possible.

>From the Shapefile Format Specification this is the list of known shapes:

	Value   Shape Type
	0	Null Shape
	1    	Point
	3    	PolyLine
	5    	Polygon
	8    	MultiPoint
	11    	PointZ
	13    	PolyLineZ
	15    	PolygonZ
	18    	MultiPointZ
	21    	PointM
	23    	PolyLineM
	25    	PolygonM
	28    	MultiPointM
	31    	MultiPatch

I think using the Z field could be ok, but we need a function that tell
us wheater a geometry is 2d,3d or measured.  Does OGC say anything about
measures ? The array option might also work as a temporary solution, as
would do a just-drop-measure approach.
... shp2pgsql could give a few options (--measured-policy=[array|discard])

--strk;