[postgis-users] Re: Re bug with GIST indexes

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Fri Mar 7 10:16:34 PST 2003

Michael,

We have noted the problem you found (see chris's message to the list).
 We havent been able to figure out why its doing what its doing.

Basically, if you're using the index, you're getting the incorrect
results.  Everything we've looked at indicates it should be working as
expected, so we're a bit stuck.

Both chris and I are very busy right now, so we dont have much time to
spend tracking it down.  Hopefully things will be less busy next month.

I suggest you either (1) dont use the @ and ~ operators (2) only use
them if you havent indexed the table (3)  re-write your queries so they
use &&  ("overlap") instead of @/~ or (4) use postgresql 7.1 or 7.2.

Not many people actually use these operators (I think you're one of the
only people who do), so no one noticed them doing something wrong.

Next month we hope to release postgis with GEOS support - this will give
access to robust implementations of the OGC relate() functions.  You'll
be able to determine all sort of complex relationship between two
geometries (not just their bounding boxes).

dave