[postgis-users] How to PostGIS + Map Objects + Delphi

chodgson at refractions.net chodgson at refractions.net
Thu May 8 09:26:53 PDT 2003

You can alway use ODBC to get at the spatial data in PostGIS - however you will
probably have to parse either the wkt string or the wkb binary data into some
sort of object in order to use it. In the case of MapObjects, I don't know
exactly how you would get the data you have retrieve from postgis and parsed,
into the mapObjects as actual polygons, lines, and points... but there is an
interface in mapObjects for creating geometries and adding them to layers, so I
don't see why you wouldn't be able to use MapObjects to display the map data
from postGIS...

This won't be a plug-and-play solution, you will have to write the code that
translates the PostGIS geometries from wkt/wkb out of ODBC, into MapObjects
geometries in a displayable map layer. There may be other solutions, but you
haven't explained what problem you are trying to solve... If you just want
programmatic access to the PostGIS geometries, then you could use the Java
Topology Suite (JTS) and /or the java objects provided with the PostGIS
distribution... if you want to display data from a PostGIS database, Mapserver
and/or Mapscript is your best bet.

Chris