[postgis-users] Problem upgrade pg_dump -t wildcard

Twan Kogels twan at twansoft.com
Fri May 30 04:05:54 PDT 2003

Hello,

I'm upgrading my current postgis version and was reading/following the
upgrade documentation located at
<http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/x83.html>. The first statement is:

pg_dump -t "*" -f dumpfile.sql yourdatabase

To dump all (*) the tables to dumpfile from database named yourdatabase.
The problem lies in this line, when i execute the line, pg_dump doesn't
export anything. dumpfile.sql contains:

--
-- PostgreSQL database dump
--

When i leave out the -t "*" parameter everything goes oke, but then
pg_restore won't work, he gives an error when he reaches:

CREATE FUNCTION addgeometrycolumn (character varying, character varying,
character varying, integer, character varying, integer) RETURNS text
     AS '
DECLARE
	database_name alias for $1;

So i do think i need the -t "*" parameter to use with pg_dump. When i do:

pg_dump -t "mytable" -f dumpfile.sql yourdatabase

it goes oke, pg_dump dumps the contents of "mytable". Is there a know
problem with using the wildcard "*" with the -t parameter of pg_dump?

I'm using PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on a minimal linux suse configuration.

Best regards,
Twan Kogels