[postgis-users] WKB data in files

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sun Nov 2 13:28:36 PST 2003

I think you have hit the nail on the head. WKB is not really designed as
  a file format, but as a transport format. Generally you would store
shapes on disk as a GeometryCollection of some sort. But as with shape,
you would need somewhere to store your attributes (an assocated file,
hooray) and probably an index file to speed up access speed (another
associated file, hooray).  And by then, you have reinvented the shape file.

Why is the shape file not suitable to you for on disk storage? There are
numerous open source readers and writers in all sorts of languages. The
shape file format is often abused, but the proliferation of standard
read/write libraries has basically plastered over any lingering
interoperability problems with the format.

Paul

--
       __
      /