[postgis-users] Re: PostGIS inquiries

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Oct 23 12:57:17 PDT 2003

Hi Ricardo,
The only proprietary tool which currently reads directly from PostGIS
is the FME, from Safe Software, but that is primarily a format
conversion tool, not a viewer/editor.
There are a several open source alternatives which currently read
directly from PostGIS.  GRASS GIS has a PostGIS extension in the latest
code.  The GeoTools Java toolkit can read and write directly to
PostGIS, but currently lacks a capable UI framework.  The JUMP Java
toolkit has some simple PostGIS reading plugins, and has a nice UI.
QGIS can read directly from PostGIS.  Thuban can read directly from
PostGIS (might even be able to write, I have not recently investigated).
None of the alternatives is ideal at this moment, but all of them are
getting closer quickly.  The ideal viewer/editor (in my mind) should
read and write directly to PostGIS with a live link to the database
that uses the transactional attributes of the database to allow
multiuser editing.
Yours,
Paul

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 12:06 PM, rbayley at Argentina.com wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> I?ve recently heard about postGIS and its capabilities. It seems
> awesome.
> No .SHP files anymore. Yet, I dont know where to represent all the
> saptial
> information. It seems postGIS can only be represented using MapSERVER.
> Am
> I correct? Isn?t there any component such as ESRI?s MapObjects, or
> BlueMarble?s
> GeoObjects where I could visualize the results from PostGIS ?
> Do you know if any of the mentioned software (ESRI?s and BlueMarble?s)
> could
> visualize PostGIS results.
>
> Any recommendations appreciated.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Ricardo Bayley
>

> --------
> E-mail y acceso a Internet UltraVeloz totalmente GRATIS en Buenos
> Aires,
> Rosario, Cordoba, Mendoza, La Plata y Pilar
> http://www.Argentina.com
> Nro. de acceso 5078-5000 Usuario: Argentina Password: Argentina

      Paul Ramsey
      Refractions Research
      Email: pramsey at refractions.net
      Phone: (250) 885-0632