[postgis-users] database backup?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Oct 24 10:32:31 PDT 2003

Christoph Spoerri wrote:

> Thanks for the help. The psql actually worked. I got some errors during
>
> Now, I have two more questions (not urgent, but still worth discussing)
>
> 1) what do you do if you have objects (blobs) in the database. In this case
> you can't use the psql export, since it does only support the '-F p' options
> (if I'm correct).

Cold backups are probably the safest bet. Shut down the database and
copy the complete data directory elsewhere for later backup to offline
media.

> 2) How do you back up a 100GB+ database? Split the static and dynamic data
> into two separate databases, and back up only the dynamic nightly?

Again, a cold backup would probably be best. Failing that, using
master/slave replication and doing hot backups off the slave is a
possibility.

As you note, if you only have one table being updated regularly, hot
backing that table would be sufficient.

Everyone's solution will differ depending on their usage patterns, data
volume, etc.

Paul

--
       __