[postgis-users] Suspect shape(s) -- multipolygons and large load files

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Sun Oct 26 01:58:45 PDT 2003

Dear peoples,

I've got to move several dozen tables of varying size (a few hundred to about 500,000 rows per table) of spatial data from Informix' spatial blade into postgres postgis. The data is well-behaved by Informix' standards. I unload using the unloadshp Informix utility which gives me shape files; I then process those with the postgres' shp2psql utility and then run the resulting sql file.

In one file I process some 63097 records and then I get an error:

psql:sid_content.sql:63353: ERROR:  couldnt parse objects in GEOMETRY

The offending WKT is attached. I did a bit of cut-and-paste and tried it in the JUMP platform and I get a warning (?) in the status bar of that tool saying "Ring Self-Intersection" ... the shape seemed to be functional enough that this tool could display it.

So a couple of questions come to mind:
a) what might be done about this ? (its a shape of an image file so there may limits in editing it but perhaps tweaks could be made).

b) to find this offending record was tedious -- i ended up running the sql file with a "psql -s -f sid_content.sql" option and stepping through the 63k records. Any suggestions for a more painless method of finding offending records would be welcome. Although some largish tables have loaded without error, others have not.

Thanks for any advice !

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC