[postgis-users] creating a spatial index for finding objects withing a certaindistance in miles based on lat/lon

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Sep 12 09:59:31 PDT 2003

Daniel Ceregatti wrote:

> This is good news.
>
> The post you linked to seems to cover the "conversion from miles to
> degrees" in the query, but I still need to get my index built using
> degrees, where all I have are lat/lon. I think I saw something on the
> list regarding this, so I'll search further.

Daniel, lat/lon *are* degrees. Degrees are the units of a lat/lon data
set. You can pretend that lat/lon coordinates are planar for the
purposes of indexing and bounding box querying, and use the geodetic
distance function to directly measure distance off of them once you have
a result set. Thusly:

select * from tbl where geom && <LatLonBoundingBox> and
distance_spheroid(geom,<LatLonQueryPoint>,<Spheroid>) < <Radius>

I wonder if we should add in a "distance_sphere" for a less
computationally intensive conversion from lat/lon to distances than the
general spheroid case.

Paul

--
       __