[postgis-users] creating a spatial index for finding objects withing a certaindistance in miles based on lat/lon

Daniel Ceregatti vi at sh.nu
Fri Sep 12 11:09:27 PDT 2003

Sigh...I'm still having some trouble wrapping my mind around all this. I
followed the thread referenced in this post:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2002-December/001905.html

This post shows a "bastardized" query for doing what I need. Thing is,
it seems that there are some assumptions made. For example, the "Miles
per lat, Miles per lon" deal. Obviously this will vary over great
distances. As I want to be able to query distances around the entire
world, and across 90 lon/180 lat, I don't see how this will do what I need.

Hugh, perhaps you can tell me how you ultimately did this? My thread
starts here:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2003-September/003087.html

Thanks,

Daniel Ceregatti