[postgis-users] PostGIS with Mapserver/Mapscript 4.0

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Mon Sep 15 10:24:00 PDT 2003

Mike Leahy wrote:
> WARNING: BEGIN: already a transaction in progress WARNING: Closing pre-
> existing portal "mycursor" WARNING: BEGIN: already a transaction in progress
> WARNING: Closing pre-existing portal "mycursor" WARNING: BEGIN: already a
> transaction in progress WARNING: Closing pre-existing portal "mycursor"
> WARNING: etc...

Yes - this is a problem with me not closing the transaction when you're
doing queries.  I've fixed it - I just need to commit the changes.

It shouldnt be giving you these problems after this.

> So here's my question to the PostgreSQL/PostGIS experts - is there any way I
> can prevent PostgreSQL/PostGIS from writing its warning messages to the output
> from the PHP script?  I have no idea where the logs from the postmaster
> service are being saved - I'd prefer if I could get the warnings sent there
> only, and not to the mapscript DLL.

These warnings are being generated by postgresql.  I believe the default
libpq behaviour is to send them to stderr.  You can modify this by
writing a custom notice handler for libpq and either eating the errors
or redirecting them else where.

dave