[postgis-users] "GEOMETRY" type

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Fri Sep 19 09:10:35 PDT 2003

Benjamin Wragg wrote:
> Hi list
>
> When it comes to create feature tables in PostGIS I've been using one
> type of geometry per table e.g points in one table and polygons in
> anther. I can across the "GEOMETRY" or
> "GEOMETRYCOLLECTION" type in the PostGIS documents which I hadn't seen
> before. Is there any problems/limitation with using this? Do all other
> PostGIS function work ok with layers of this types, eg distance, &&,
> intersect, etc?

I suggest you make the type "GEOMETRY" (using AddGeometryType()) for
your table - then you can stick any geometry type inside.

If you make things GEOMETRYCOLLECTION you'll probably find things more
difficult to use because there's only a few functions that actually
manipulate them (ie. GetGeometryN(), NumGeometries()).  Plus the GEOS
routines are not well defined for GEOMETRYCOLLECTIONs.

dave