[postgis-users] GML vs SVG

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Wed Apr 7 10:51:17 PDT 2004

GML and SVG are not "mutually exclusive" - they are just different
technologies, filling different needs.  GML is designed to be a
convenient, open way of describing geographic data.  SVG is designed to
be an open way of describing vector graphic images.

If you want SVG as your end result, then whether or not you go through
GML entirely depends on how you are building your transformation
pipeline.  People who are building XSLT to transform GML to SVG likely
already have a GML datasource (either raw files or a GML producer such
as WFS).  They are also probably trying to leverage existing tools to
minimize the amount of effort required to build their pipeline.  If you
don't have that as a constraint, then you can simply build a direct
data->SVG pipeline.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5