[postgis-users] ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 0

John Hagstrand john.hagstrand at interageresearch.com
Thu Apr 8 11:14:18 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm getting the following error when I try to update or insert
into a table.  This just started happening yesterday.  The table has been
working
fine up to now.

   ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 0

I'm using postgresql version 7.4.  The table has 27,000 rows and 24 columns.
Here is the schema.

ln character varying(30) NOT NULL
acct integer NOT NULL
mls integer
address character varying(250)
city character varying(50)
state character varying(2)
zip character varying(10)
gcstatus character(1) NOT NULL
gcscore integer
gcside character(1)
gcstdaddr character varying(250)
gcrefid integer
gcpctalong double precision
geom geometry
proptype integer NOT NULL
salestatus character(1) NOT NULL
listprice integer NOT NULL
beds integer NOT NULL
baths double precision NOT NULL
floorspace integer NOT NULL
lotsize character varying(100)
acreage double precision NOT NULL
photocode integer NOT NULL
photofile character varying(50)

Here is an example update that fails.  This will update 17 records when
successful.

update property
set salestatus = '4'
where salestatus = '3'

I asked this question on the postgresql list and got a response from Tom
Lane, but he does not have an answer yet.

I wanted to ask you about it also because there is a geometry column in the
table.

Thanks
John Hagstrand