[postgis-users] Howto use PostGIS/PostgreSQL and ArcMap/ArcView8

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Apr 20 13:19:28 PDT 2004

Stefan Wurzinger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to use PostGIS/PostgreSQL as Spatialdatabase
> in ArcMap/ArcView8?
>
> What's your experiences in this case?
>
> Do you have any tips and howtos for me?

<SARDONIC>
First, become a multi-million dollar client of ESRI. Second, tell the
ESRI sales and development teams that they must support
PostGIS/PostgreSQL directly or you will pull your contracts. Even then,
you probably have a 50% chance of getting laughed out of the meeting. :)
</SARDONIC>

No, ESRI does not interoperate directly with any backend spatial
database except ArcSDE. Even their "direct connect" technology for
OracleSpatial uses SDE code hidden in the ArcMap client to interact with
what is, on the Oracle side, an SDE database schema.

There is a third party open source attempt at shoehorning this problem,
called PgArc. It may or may not suit your needs. It will certainly not
be as transparent as ArcSDE as a spatial backend, that is for sure.

Paul

--
       __
      /