[postgis-users] Best Filesystem?

Craig Miller craig.miller at spatialminds.com
Fri Apr 23 21:54:19 PDT 2004

Hi,

Has anyone benchmarked different filesystems with PostGIS?

I have read that JFS offers the best performance for PostgreSQL, followed
closely by XFS.

It is interesting... I am finding that almost every layer in the stack is
doing some form of caching and flushing.  I haven't checked to see what my
hard drives themselves are doing, but my RAID controller caches,
XFS/ReiserFS caches, and PostgreSQL caches.  While cacheing is generally a
good thing, it is bad if it is a) redundant or b) exposing me unnecessary
risk.  The latter is my largest concern.  If my system has it's power cord
bumped, I don't want to lose the data that is floating around in a cache.

So, what is the "best" filesystem for running PostGIS based on performance
and data integrity.

Looking forward to the responses,
--Craig