[postgis-users] ArcGIS connection with PostGIS

Jan Boonen janb at gis.zmg.nl
Thu Apr 29 05:41:41 PDT 2004

Hello,

We are a company that is creating a GIS for geologic purposes using
open-source software solutions. Currently we have a PostgreSQL database
running with the PostGIS extension. In order to view and edit spatial data
we use ArcGIS from ESRI.

It appears however that connecting to a PostGIS table with ArcGIS is quite
difficult.

The current option for us is to develop a new extension to ArcGIS so that
the PostGIS possibilities become available, but this is a daunting task so
we would like to check beforehand if some efforts have been made recently on
this issue appearing regularly on several opensource GIS forums. It is most
likely that we are going to use Delphi as primary development language and
where needed we will use Visual C++. For PostgreSQL connectivity we are
probably going to use ODBC or native Delphi components in combination with
the GDAL library of Frank Warmerdam. If there is somebody here that is also
working on such a project it might be interesting to get in contact and
discuss the development process. For everybody who is also interested in
such an application, please contact us so that we can see if we can meet
your needs too.

Greetings,

Jan Boonen
Zoutewelle Media Groep b.v