[postgis-users] Sorry - ERROR: geometry_columns: permission denied

Zamil Murji Zamil.Murji at divestco.com
Fri Apr 30 13:08:52 PDT 2004

Forgot to change the subject.

Hello list,

I've been using PostGIS for a little while now and everything is working great. I created a new db and ran both the sql scripts that came with PostGIS.

A simple \d returns the following:
              List of relations
 Schema |       Name       | Type  |  Owner
--------+------------------+-------+----------
 public | geometry_columns | table | postgres
 public | main_well1       | table | idcdev
 public | spatial_ref_sys  | table | postgres
 public | well             | table | idcdev
 public | well_log_job     | table | idcdev
 public | well_log_raster  | table | idcdev
(6 rows)

Everything looks great, except when I goto to run the following statement:
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('idcdev', 'main_well1', 'the_geom', -1, 'POINT', 2);

I get the following error:
WARNING:  Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function addgeometrycolumn
WARNING:  line 39 at execute statement
ERROR:  geometry_columns: permission denied

How can I solve this? Is there some permissions that I have to grant to the user idcdev? If so, which ones and how do I grant them?

Thanks
Zamil