[postgis-users] Problems with Select by Polygon - pgsql75win

Randy Page randy.page at terraverge.com
Tue Aug 3 07:38:36 PDT 2004

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to PostGIS and Mapserver, and have run across a problem
that I now believe is related to PostGIS (I am using pgsql75win on Win2K.)

I have some census tracts stored in PostGIS, and am attempting to select
these tracts using a user-defined polygon through Mapserver 4.2 CGI.
Depending on how I format my mapfile, I either get:

1) msQueryByShape():Search returned no results. No matching record(s) found
- This occurs when I comment out the template file reference in the mapfile.

2)The server just hangs and the CGI eventually times out - This occurs when
I include the template reference in the mapfile, which should be the correct
way to do this.

As a test, I took a subset of the tract data, made a shape file, and used
that as the datasource for the tracts layer.   This works correctly and
returns the selected features as expected.   I have also been able to
successfully perform a point query (identify) against the PostGIS tracts
layer.

So, either I am missing a function or some other key element in my
pgsql75win installation, or the query is running REALLY slow.   I have all
the correct GIST indexes applied, and map generation is really fast, so I
don't think it's an issue with the query running slowly.

I'm really stuck here.   Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Randy