[postgis-users] Problems loading large geometry in postgis cvs 2004-08-20 postgresql 8.0b1 win32

Jeremy Palmer jpalmer at paradise.net.nz
Mon Aug 30 02:40:11 PDT 2004

Hi I'm having problems trying to load a very large WKT geometry (73, 000
points) into a win32 postgis database. I have tried loading this data into a
table in LINUX postgis server and I have had no problems.

I can create the table and add the geometry columns ok, however when I try
to copy the data into the table (through SQL copy command) the server just
sits (well at for 20mins on a PIII 1Gzh) on the command maxing out the CPU
to 100%. Note I have loaded other geometry tables with fewer vertexes in the
win32 with no such problems.

One other thing that I noticed is that I can not even open the WKT geometry
in a windows text editor (i.e. PFE, ultra edit, vedit); however I can open
the same file in kedit on Linux.

Is this a windows file limitation or a postgis problem in the win32 build??

Thanks

Jeremy