[postgis-users] Homework for RPM Users

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Feb 3 22:26:54 PST 2004

Hi RPM'ers.
I have finished compiling a complete set of SRPM packages for postgis,
mapserver, and all other required open source libraries.  Now, I need
you, the fine users of postgis, to compile them for me on different
platforms.
If someone has a default install of Fedora 1, they should compile
flawlessly (omit the curl package, you already have that).
For Red Hat 9, again, everything should be hunky dory, but you'll have
to do the curl package, as the RH9 default is not a high enough version
for mapserver.
For older distros, things will probably get harder, but might still
work OK.  Red Hat 7.3 is probably the most important, since it was very
widespread.
For Fedora, RH9, building SRPMS is really easy.

- Make sure you have rpm-devel installed already.
- rpm -Uvh sourcepackage.src.rpm
- cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
- rpmbuild -bb sourcepackage.spec
- find your new RPM in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
- the recommended build order is curl, geos, proj, gdal, postgresql,
mapserver
- when you have built RPMs and have tested them, drop me a line so I
can put them online for others to download

For my next trick, I will bundle some demo data and interfaces with the
mapserver build so that it just "runs" out of the box.

      Paul Ramsey
      Refractions Research
      Email: pramsey at refractions.net
      Phone: (250) 885-0632