[postgis-users] help with subsetting large polygon datasets

Menke, Kurt kmenke at edac.unm.edu
Wed Feb 4 08:29:54 PST 2004

Hi,
We are working on a data download page and are giving the user the ability
to download a subset of the datasets.  We are using the && operator to
subset the data and it works well with large line data sets, but is quite a
bit slower on large polygon datasets.  Once the data is subset to a view, we
are using pgsql2shp.  We are looking for a more efficient method of creating
the initial subset.   Does anyone know if any of the GEOS functions (or
other fuctions) would be more efficient than &&?

We are running PostgreSQL 7.3.2 with PostGIS 0.7.4 support on a Red Hat  9
box.

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kurt A. Menke