[postgis-users] PostGIS install

Darren Houston dhouston at beyondcompliance.ca
Tue Feb 10 01:54:53 PST 2004

Good evening accidentally turned into good morning for me :).

The problem is that PostGIS can't find the GEOS library (libgeos.so.1). Did you
install GEOS? Did you install Proj4 support? You don't need to install any of
these (although I would recommend them), but before you compile and install
PostGIS you need to edit the makefile in the PostGIS source directory and change
USE_PROJ= to 0 and USE_GEOS= to 0 (or conversely, keep them at their default, 1,
install GEOS/Proj4 and modify GEOS_DIR and PROJ_DIR to point to your
installations). If you have installed GEOS and/or Proj4, make a symbolic link to
the GEOS/Proj4 libraries in /usr/local/pgsql/lib/ using the command;

ln -s location_of_library name_of_library

On my system, for GEOS, I cd to /usr/local/pgsql/lib and type;

ln -s /usr/local/geos/lib/libgeos.so.1.0.0 libgeos.so
ln -s /usr/local/geos/lib/libgeos.so.1.0.0 libgeos.so.1
ln -s /usr/local/geos/lib/libgeos.so.1.0.0 libgeos.so.1.0.0

This will make symbolic links called libgeos.so, libgeos.so.1, libgeos.so.1.0.0
that point to the actual GEOS library named libgeos.so.1.0.0. Do not use hard
links. The -s specifies symbolic. Type man ln for help.

If you didn't install GEOS/Proj4, you could try installing Proj4 and GEOS into
/usr/local, making the symbolic links and seeing what happens. This is
theoretical, I've never tried this. After that, you will have to compile and
install PostGIS again.

Hope this helps.

Eric Wright <eric.linux at shaw.ca> said:

> Good evening,
> I am trying to install the postgis package and when I get to the step:
> |    psql -d yourtestdatabase -f postgis.sql
>
> I get the following error:
>     psql:postgis.sql:44: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
>     DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
>     psql:postgis.sql:44: ERROR:  could not load library
> "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpostgis.so.0.8":
>     libgeos.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I am can browse to the directory where the ||/usr/local/pgsql/lib/
> directory and verify that the file (or a link to the file) does exist so
> I am at a loss as to why it is complaining.
>
> In case you have not guessed yet I am fairly new to the Linux thing so
> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Eric W

Darren Houston