[postgis-users] Overflow on length field during insert

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Feb 10 11:49:18 PST 2004

warmerdam wrote:
> Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > I'm inserting some shapes using ogr2ogr and getting an interesting
> > error.  Here's my syntax and error message:
> >
> > ERROR 1: INSERT command for new feature failed.
> > ERROR:  overflow on numeric ABS(value) >= 10^2 for field with precision
> > 13 scale 11
>
> Tyler,
>
> This is a "bug" in OGR, so you may report it in the OGR bugzilla if you wish.

I think the same bug shown up some weeks ago in shapelib.
My "woarkaround" then was to just "omit" the precision, but
if this is really a bug I'd like to have shp2pgsql go back
to its original behaviour (rely on shapelib to specify
a precision for the numeric type).

Please let me know it something will change about this.

--strk;