[postgis-users] Geodetic support, 3D support, arc support.

Kuster Jürgen j.kuster at gmx.at
Wed Feb 11 03:06:05 PST 2004

Hello!

As I am doing my Master's Thesis about Spatial Information Systems right
now, I have been working with the PostGIS system for a few days and am
still wondering:

How far are geodetic systems already supported? Is conversion possible,
when shall it be implemented? Do spatial operations work correctly on
this sort of data? Are thus the spatial reference systems of real use
right now?
How about 3D data? The OGC proposal seems to be fulfilled on 2D data,
which methods do really support 3D (are these only the methods ending
_3d)?
What about arc elements? Are there any intentions to extend the data
model by curve-interpolated values, circles, ellipsoids etc.?

Thank you very much for your assistance,
Juergen Kuster.