[postgis-users] PostGIS and LIDAR Massive Point Sets

collin collin at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Feb 17 08:14:11 PST 2004

Glad to hear you've had good experiences with large datasets.

Another question: what is your recommended method for inserting point
data?  Even with transactions turned off, the INSERT command is
painfully slow.  Is there any way to use COPY FROM with point data?  The
shapefile loader doesn't work, becuase our dataset would crash
Arcview/ArcMap.  Any help appreciated.

If it looks promising, I can try recommending that we help out
financially with implementing WKB.  No guarantees.

Collin
GIS Informatics Researcher
UC Berkeley