[postgis-users] PostGIS Capabilities

Jong S. Lee jonglee1 at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:20:29 PST 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> Jong, I was also just thinking that if you use LRS to locate your
> point in the first place, can't you take the attribute (i.e. parent
> road name) and store that with the point data.  Then if you looking
> for all the points on that road you can use regular tabular queries
> instead of spatial queries.   Does that make sense?

Yes, that's possible. However, since the network for matching the
bridges on the highway is too detail for our research purpose, we
simplify the network.  During this process the LRS route ids are lost or
wrongly placed since we did many merging and modifying operation to the
original network.  The following is our procedure:

1. Matching Bridges on Network A
2 .Modifying the Nework A to Network B
3. Finding Bridges on the Network B.
( if you have any other suggestion, let me know....)

Currently, via using SQL you told me, it is working great.  I am using
0.01 meter as the tolerance (or distace b/w features).  I pick some
lines and bridges and verified those.  It looks good.