[postgis-users] geos result sets

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Wed Feb 25 17:34:45 PST 2004

Actually, the precision model does not enter into the spatial
relationship computation in JTS/GEOS.  Spatial Relationships are always
calculated based on the precise value of the coordinates, whether that
value has metre precision or nanometre precison.

The precision model is mainly used by constructive functions, to
determine the allowable precision to use in computing new coordinates.

JTS & JUMP provide a Precision Reduction function, which might handle
some situations like this.  However, the precision reduction is not
guaranteed to maintain topological correctness, and thus will not be
useful in many situations.  (It's a sledgehammer, where often a scalpel
is required).

Oracle Spatial does provide a notion of tolerance in its spatial
relationship operators.  However, I have never seen a description of the
actual semantics of the tolerance value, so I don't feel that I fully
understand what it does or how it could be implemented.  It would be an
interesting exercise to try and define a tolerance-based semantics for
spatial relationships. (If anyone is aware of such a thing please let me
know).  If this proved useful it would of course be nice to add it to
JTS/GEOS.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5