[postgis-users] Cross posting: Postgresql 7.4 & cygwin Transactions disabled?

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Thu Jan 15 11:39:27 PST 2004

Jody Garnett wrote:
>> From GeoServer email list:
>

>> There has been a bug report that doing transactions with postGIS 0.8
>> and postgresql 7.4 on cygwin does not work.  The error says 'SET
>> AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF is no longer supported'.  I looked into this a bit
>> and it looks like postgresql may have decided to not allow people to
>> turn autocommit off, for some reason like the application should
>> manage resources better or something.  We need to look into it further.
>

> Could this possibly be true?

I belive "SET AUTOCOMMIT = OFF" is no longer supported in 7.4.

If you havent setup a transaction, your commands will be "automagically"
surrounded by a 'BEGIN;...COMMIT;' block.

If you have setup a transaction, you must either COMMIT it or ROLLBACK it.

What do you think this should do:

SET AUTOCOMMIT = ON;
BEGIN;
insert into mytable values (777);
ROLLBACK;

If you say '777' should *NOT* be in 'mytable', they you agree with
postgresql.  If you say it should be in 'mytable', then why do you think
the database should be ignoring the ROLLBACK command?

dave