[postgis-users] Fatal: lock file file"/usr/share/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid" already exists {SpamScore: sss}

Charlton Purvis cpurvis at asg.sc.edu
Fri Jul 9 06:10:09 PDT 2004

Did you get things to work?

> /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1... FATAL:  lock
>  file "/usr/share/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid"
> already exists

The fact that you're getting a lockfile error while trying to install a
fresh pgsql is weird.  This error pops up whenever you try to start the
db when one is already running.  Or you had to reboot w/o shutting down.
In either case, if you're sure you want to start the db, just remove the
file and try again.

However, that's probably not going to help.  Have you done the basic
checks:  permissions OK, path OK, etc.?  I'd be inclined to rm -rf
/usr/share/postgresql and start over.  One thing . . . are you building
and installing to the same directory?  Did your ./configure bomb?

Charlton