[postgis-users] usage of AddGeometryColumn etc.

Hubert Fröhlich hubert.froehlich at bvv.bayern.de
Tue Jun 1 04:19:47 PDT 2004

Hi list,

I have a table with a geometry column.

test=# create table demo(col1 text);
test=#  select AddGeometryColumn('', 'demo',
'pgpoly','31494','MULTIPOLYGON',2);

addgeometrycolumn
 Geometry column pgpoly added to table public.demo WITH a SRID of 31494
and type MULTIPOLYGON
(1 row)

When I drop the table without dropping the geometry column first

test=# drop table demo;
DROP TABLE
test=# select * from geometry_columns;
 f_table_catalog | f_table_schema | f_table_name | f_geometry_column |
coord_dimension | srid  |     type     | attrelid | varattnum | stats
-----------------+----------------+--------------+-------------------+-----------------+-------+--------------+----------+-----------+-------
                 | public         | demo         | pgpoly
|               2 | 31494 | MULTIPOLYGON |  5391696 |         3 |
(1 row)

I learn that DROP TABLE did not remove my geometry fully - I have to
- either delete the entry in geometry_columns.
- or execute a DropGeometryColumn(....) before DROPing the table.

a) It would be quite comfortable just DROPping tables ... Is it intended
or possible to improve the functions this way?
b) If this is not possible, some hint in the documentation would be
useful .

Regards,

Hubert

Dr.-Ing. Hubert Fröhlich
Bezirksfinanzdirektion München
Alexandrastr. 3, D-80538 München, GERMANY
Tel. :+49 (0)89 / 2190 - 2980
Fax  :+49 (0)89 / 2190 - 2997
hubert dot froehlich at bvv dot bayern dot de