[postgis-users] Re: FOSS GIS suite project?

Tyler Mitchell tjmitchell at riverside.bc.ca
Tue Jun 15 15:32:44 PDT 2004

> Agreed. Frank Warmerdam replied to my message & we have swapped a few
off-list
> emails discussing it. We thought a precompiled binary .tar.gz package
> comprising a range of interoperable FOSS GIS packages which can be
simply
> installed into it's own tree and was distro independent was perhaps a
better
> approach than a distro oriented one.

I too agree with a distribution independent, binary package.  Part of the
problem with many of the packages is where they put files, how to set env
settings, etc. so I think that this approach would help alleviate those
issues.  DM Solutions MS4W package has helped to prove the value of this
approach with MapServer on Windows at least.  Also, Frank's OpenEV_FW
packages are an excellent embodiment of packaging too.

I do not believe it should be limited to a tar.gz type of distribution
though. Once a solid, predictable setup is designed, then others should
feel free to re-package into the appropriate distribution formats (source,
RPM, deb, MSI, etc.) based on their platform.

> The idea was to provide a suite of GIS software (data management, query,
> reformat, topology, reproject, GUI, web mapping server/client, etc)
ready to
> install and supplied as interoperable components with a sample
dataset(s).

Good idea, count me in.  This is something I really want to see happen and
am willing to take as active a role as possible.

Tyler