[postgis-users] FOSS GIS suite project? (was Mandrake GIS)

Jean-Denis Giguere jdenisgiguere at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 16 15:32:02 PDT 2004

Wood Brent a écrit :
> --- Maurizio Napolitano <napo at itc.it> wrote:
>
>>I think that there are a lot of "GIS cd live", so is better concentrate
>>all togheter on a only one to have always new packages.
>>I think that geomorphix, for now, is a good solution: there are a lot
>>of GIS software and some data
>>Geomorphix come from the live cd morphix.
>>This live cd is like Knoppix but gnome oriented.
>>Like knoppix a user can have a permanent install on the hard disk.
>>
>>For more info (and to contribute)
>>http://www.geomorphix.org
>

> Interesting site. Could you post some info about what exactly geomorphix is &
> the project goals are?
>
> As the one who instigated this thing, perhaps I should try to clarify exactly
> what I'm envisaging.
>
> There are at least 4 GIS oriented LiveCD's that I'm aware of. They are not
> quite what I envisage, although they do serve a useful purpose. They do,
> however serve as a OS straightjacket. Click to install to hard drive. You can't
> easily install the GIS packages from a LiveCD to your SUSE/Fedora/Debian
> install. Certainly not on Windows, even with Cygwin. So I don't see a live CD
> as a suitable medium for supplying GIS software. Great for
> teaching/demonstrating or GIS "appliances".
>
> It sort of boils down to the GIS as a science/toolbox debate. Most GIS users
> IMHO treat GIS as a toolbox. Developers more as a science.
>
> Commercial GIS products tend to be available as modular products, users
> purchase the modules they require (or can afford :-) They find a base GIS
> product with modules from available offerings, often based upon whatever they
> have used before or recommended by others in their field. (I'm talking mainly
> about science GIS users). Generally they aquire GIS much as an interoperable
> suite of software packages.
>
> FOSS GIS comprises a range of packages to do different things. For each role in
> a GIS suite there may be more than one suitable package. Installation is NOT
> the simple process generally available for commercial software suites.
>
> What I believe is timely, is the repackaging of FOSS GIS packages as a suite. I
> believe FOSS GIS is pretty much at a stage where a powerful and effective GIS
> suite can be packaged up and provided to users who don't have to aquire 5-10+
> different packages from various places and assemble them on their systems to
> make a functuinal GIS suite.

What do you think about virtual package. Many distribution offer this
option (Mandrake and Debian do, other probably). When you install a
virtual package, you install all the dependencies of this virtual
package (other package like MapServer, Grass, ..., ..., ...) and you
configure them. I don't have to redo work that was previously done.

> I'm fully aware (and appreciate) that many of the packages (JUMP, QGIS, GRASS)
> are undergoing frantic development right now, and adding to the potential power
> of a GIS suite. I believe they are currently stable and functional enough to be
> more than useful and effective.
>
> Freegis provides access to the various FOSS GIS packages, but does not attempt
> to bundle them into a suite, which I feel is the next step required to foster
> the use of FOSS GIS & the growth of the FOSS GIS community.

It will be very important to have a workplace. Which web site or
organisation can given complete tools for building this suite ?