[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

christopher.faulkner at ntlworld.com christopher.faulkner at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 8 03:26:28 PST 2004

Hello

>     Who are you?
>     What are you using PostGIS for?

I am using PostGIS to manage several datasets in Great Britain. I have tables with all road centreline data (10m rows). I also have a further 3 million records of polygon data - coastline, landuse, etc. Approximately 2m rows of point data - postcodes, etc.

My main use is for map making - I extract the data in a JDBC environment, transform it to SVG and make nice maps ! The queries are usually straightforward bounding box ones.

>     Why did you choose PostGIS?

Open source, good support community, works on Linux. JDBC integration, I can use it easily with JTS.

>     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

Quality of support, speed.

>     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

To be fair, the first time I tried it on Windows, it was a little tricky but having done it once, it is now very straightforward.

Chris