[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at propertykey.com
Wed Mar 10 06:30:35 PST 2004

On Mar 7, 2004, at 7:27 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

>    Who are you?

Jeff Hoffmann, developer for PropertyKey.  PropertyKey provides
property information (including parcel maps and aerial/satellite ) to
various real-estate related industries, both through the web and custom
client software.

>    What are you using PostGIS for?

We're using it mostly for spatial queries joined with the textual
property data.  We also use it with MapServer to generate maps on web
pages.

>    Why did you choose PostGIS?

Have been using PostgreSQL for many years & started using PostGIS with
0.7.1.  Before PostGIS came along, tried to do what we needed with the
builtin geometry functions.  Integration with MapServer is important.
We wrote our own "poor man's MapServer" that worked off of the builtin
geometry functions but that didn't last long once we switched to
PostGIS.  Integration with PROJ is really convenient, since most of our
data comes in whatever local state plane system is for the county and
we can leave it in whatever format it came in most of the time.

>    What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

It works.  Without going into a lot of detail, it has really
streamlined a lot of what we're doing here.  Plus it's open source.  We
committed to PostgreSQL a long time ago -- it was a good tool for what
we were doing when we started & now it's a great tool.

>    What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

One little thing is that I tend to drop tables and then reload them by
dumping the data from an updated shapefile pretty frequently & I don't
like to call DropGeometryColumn because it has to go through and set
the geometry column to null.  It seems unnecessary if I'm going to end
up dropping the table anyway -- it's just a waste of a couple of
minutes.   I can't call DropGeometryColumn after dropping the table
because it gives me an error that the table doesn't exist.  Either I
have to manually delete the entry from the geometry_columns or truncate
the table, call DropGeometryColumn, then drop the table.  It seems to
me that if you call DropGeometryColumn on a column that exists in
geometry_columns but the table doesn't exist, it should delete that
entry anyway instead of bailing out with an error.

--
Jeff Hoffmann
jeff at propertykey.com