[postgis-users] Converting a table with coordinate variables into one which has point geometries for each record

Andy Turner a.turner at geography.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 09:35:12 PST 2004

Hi postgis-users

I am new to this list and using postgis.

I hope you can help me.

I have 3 related postgres tables, one of which contains
coordinate variables that represent a point location.

I have loaded a polygon from a shapefile and now I want to
select all the points that are inside it.

Each of the two coordinate variables are multiplied by 10 to give
the actual point location.

In total there are 2340070 points.

What is best to do?

Best wishes

Andy

CCG, School of Geography, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/