[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS?

Mark Rodrigo mark at markrodrigo.com
Mon Mar 15 12:20:04 PST 2004

    Who are you?
    Mark Rodrigo. GIS Programmer. I work for an economic development firm
during the day, and use
	standard corporate GIS software. By night, I integrate and work with
	Latin American datasets, Mapserver applications, and any worthwhile Open
Source
	solutions.
    What are you using PostGIS for?
	I am using PostGIS as a data warehouse for large seamless Latin American,
and other datasets. I experiment with
	SQL driven spatial analysis. I use PostGIS datasets as the basis for layer
display in my Mapserver
	apps.

    Why did you choose PostGIS?
	I have overloaded, crashed, smoked etc. certain standard lighter versions
of RDBMS software for GIS backend 	support.
	PostGIS was deeply integrated with Mapserver, and other Open Source GIS
solutions.

    What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
	Integration with Mapserver and other Open Source GIS solutions.
	Has been evolving rapidly, and is OGC compliant with simple features.
	Great user support.
	PostGIS has moved my technical abilities forward in the Linux world.
	In general, I have been very pleased with the Canadian Open Source
movement. It seems like
	everything I need to support my personal GIS/WMS goals comes from someone
up North.

    What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

	Client Editing tools.
	Lack of recognition by the big boy software vendors as a spatial database
tool.