[postgis-users] DropGeometryColumn

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Mar 18 09:42:20 PST 2004

I don't know if I diagnosed this problem correctly, but I regularly
stumble over the following situation:

I create a spatial table, and delete it after some time. When I create a
new spatial table under the same name, I get an error message about
"duplicate geometry column names". It seems that before deleting a
spatial table, you *have* to drop manually the geometry column of that
table with DropGeometryColumn(). I don't know how to remove this column
after deleting the table, so this leaves me with a database where I
cannot create tables that have been deleted the wrong way.

Am I right that this is how it works? If so, could it be remedied, e.g.
by some sort of trigger on dropping a spatial table?

Jan