[postgis-users] geometry problem

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Tue Mar 23 16:39:03 PST 2004

sd,
shp2pgsql should create the table for you run the addgeometrycolumn as
well.  You should only have to run shp2pgsql to get your data into the
database (as long as it is properly installed as a postgis database).

Tyler

postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net wrote on 03/23/2004 10:10:39
AM:

> Dear users
>
> I want to use postgis as a back end and want to fetch data from
mapserver.
> My mapserver demo is working, so I wanted to convert shape files to psql
by
> shp2pgsql in postgis
>
> To do so I am told to make a table with geometry column to hold GIS
data.

> However when i try
>
> a)   CREATE TABLE gtest ( ID int4, NAME varchar(20) );
>
> Above query works; no problem, but with following query:
>
> b)   SELECT
AddGeometryColumn('dbname','gtest','geom',-1,'LINESTRING',2);