[postgis-users] Which SRID to choose?

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Wed Mar 24 07:27:12 PST 2004

Hi,

We currently get our geometry data in longitude/latitude format in
degrees (e. G., 'POINT(8.53951 47.37704)' is Zürich).

Our two data sources currently are GPS receivers and Shapefiles from
ArcView Premium.

Now we're unshure which SRIDs to choose for those datas because we did
not find any Documentation (yet) that was enlightening enough for us :-(

Is there a single SRID that works for all longitude/latitude data?

Do you know any good documentation / introduction into spatial reference
systems in general and OpenGIS/PostGIS specific?

Thanks in advance,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich