[postgis-users] Can I Clip Layers?

Darren Houston dhouston at beyondcompliance.ca
Thu Mar 25 15:31:03 PST 2004

Hello strk,

Thank you for your answer.

The intersects() function is the function I have been using. The problem is
that it will show the whole geometry, not "clip" the geometry at the extent of
the BOX3D or polygon. I have included some pictures of my output that shows
the river and grid system outside my polygon because intersects() returns true
for an intersecting geometry, and hence my sql returns the whole geometry. I
could "fake it" for now and draw a white square outside my polygon area to
cover anything outside. Ideally, it would be grand if there was some way
PostGIS could clip one layer based on another. I hope I explained myself well,
if not the pictures should help.

Thank you for your help,

Darren H.